I love music, always have, always will. However, I feel a bit out of touch with the music industry. I am a self proclaimed lover of hip-hop music, but I am really behind on what is out there now that is worth listening to. So, I went to Itunes to look up their current top 100 downloaded albums and I found some disturbing shit. Most people have terrible taste in music. Or at least they download terrible music off of Itunes. Here are the low lights.
1. Topping off the charts at number one was Taylor Swift’s new album Red. I must be the only person in America that doesn’t like this girl. Her music is soulless and underwhelming. Hard to even imaging someone buying one song, but an entire album….
3. Toby Keith – Hope On The Rocks – I haven’t heard much of this album and what I have heard was accidental and followed a “who the fuck is this?” comment. If country music was a club, he would have been kicked to out.
20. Rod Stewart – Merry Christmas – I realize its Rod Stewart, but more importantly it is a Christmas album. Who buys a Christmas album?
23. – Journey – Journey’s Greatest Hits – These guys weren’t cool even when they were. Yet they still crack the top 25 downloaded albums on Itunes? I know, I bet a lot of people were attending Halloween parties as Steven Perry and needed some music to accompany them. That has to be it, right?
30. Rock of Ages Soundtrack – Who knew there large groups of people out there that want to hear Tom Cruise butcher Bon Jovi. I guess if Bon Jovi can shit on acting, Tom Cruise should be allowed to decimate music.
65. Taylor Swift – Speak Now – See number one.
100. Styx – Styx Greatest Hits – It should just be named Mr. Roboto.
On the upside there were appearances on the chart from Neil Young (twice), Pink Floyd, Kendrick Lamar, Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, The Black Keys, CCR and GNR. That at least gives me a glimmering of hope that all is not lost. It is just diluted, watered down, tainted and smelly.